This is a fantastic opportunity to launch a career within a company committed to sustainability and to improving the lives of people across the globe. Johnson Matthey Plc is looking to recruit a Technician Engineering Apprentice at their Technology Centre in Sonning Common, near Reading.
25 Sep 2018
- Working week
- Monday to Friday 9:00 until 5:30pm. Total hours per week: 37.00
- Total hours per week: 37.00
- Annual wage
- Expected apprenticeship duration
01 Oct 2018
Advanced Level Apprenticeship
To assist the engineering team in Clean Air on daily technical issues in a dynamic and busy laboratory with Simulating Catalytic Activity Test Rigs
- Identifying problems with the test rigs in order to perform the required troubleshooting
- Assisting in building test rigs including mounting instrumentation, valves, controllers, reactors and other rig components
- Participating in the general maintenance and servicing of equipment
- Carrying out tubing work by following rig schematics and P&IDs
- Constructing equipment that can be mounted onto rigs such as panels, brackets, pump boxes, flowmeter containments and other parts
- Leak testing and servicing rig equipment such as pumps, check valves, filters, fans
- Learning about chemical gas and particle analysis
- Assisting in the repair, service or alteration of any mechanical or analytical equipment that operates in the laboratory and whereas this is possible
- Performing daily tasks that promote the continuous improvement of the lab’s organisation and smooth daily operation while maintaining the lab’s high health and safety standards
- Assisting with the replacement of gas cylinders, the maintenance and check of gas delivery systems and the supply of liquid nitrogen
- Liaising with both the Scientists as well as the Engineers
- To take on any other duties that are within the employee’s skills and abilities whenever reasonably instructed.
The role will involve reporting to the senior engineer of Clean Air’s main laboratory and the job means that the employee will have to liaise with the chemistry scientists, the engineers from the engineering and design groups as well as the Mechanical Engineering Workshop.
Technical guidance, induction and supervision will be provided by the Senior Clean Air Engineer in accordance with project priorities set by the Research Group’s Technology Manager.
Specific training in the form of short modular courses will also be provided, if and when required.
- To strictly follow all safety procedures necessary in all places and lab areas within the company
- To ensure all work results in safe equipment giving emphasis to the leak proof of tubing and gas delivery systems such as regulators, pressure gauges, pressure transmitters, flow meters, mass flow controllers
- To liaise and co-operate with both the Rig Owners/Scientists as well as the engineers and to follow their guidance and subsequent project requests
- To report progress and review performance on a continuous basis
- To work within project constrains
- To manage material and equipment requirements for the execution of projects as well as to keep up with maintenance and servicing schedules and records
- To continuously improve the layout, functionality and working order of the rigs and equipment
- To keep the lab’s workshop and material stock up to date and in a tidy and well operational manner
- The position will require the wearing of suitable PPE, including eye protection, foot protection and lab coat
- Some physical factors may be required, assisting in the transport of gas cylinders, the filling and transport of liquid nitrogen vessels and in general the movement of equipment with the use of trolleys.
Requirements and prospects
You will need to have the following skills:
- Good level of interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written
- Flexible, versatile and able to multitask
- Good technical hand skills
- The motivation and commitment to learn and work in a team environment
- A good eye for detail
- Good organisational skills
- Enrolment on a Technological or Mechanical or Chemical Apprenticeship course
- Interest in Electro Mechanical things
- Interest in Scientific matters
- Exposure to engineering drawings and schematics
- Computer literate in latest Windows (especially Word and Excel); any knowledge of design software packages would be advantageous
- A Levels / equivalent in Maths and Science or any other Technological qualification
- Experience of practical skills in Engineering or general construction
A minimum of five GCSE's (or equivalent qualifications) at grade C (Grade 5) and above including English, Science and maths.
Upon successful completion of the apprenticeship, there may be opportunities to progress onto higher level qualifications to support your career development within Johnson Matthey.
Things to consider
You will be required to wear suitable PPE, including eye protection, foot protection and suitable clothing at all times.
About the employer
Johnson Matthey Technology Centre
Johnson Matthey PLC is a global leader in science that enables cleaner air, improved health and more efficient use of natural resources. Many of our products enhance the quality of life for millions of people around the world. The Technology Centre, based at Sonning Common, undertakes research work for the group.
Employer's application instructions
To apply please visit our website: theengineeringtrust.org and complete the online application form in the Apprentice Section on the website. Your application form will be sent to prospective employers so please complete the form as accurately as you can. Please do not use text language – correct usage of upper and lower case characters is very important. This is a formal application not a message to a friend. Do not use abbreviations and check your spelling. Complete all relevant boxes on the form or enter not applicable. Give full course titles where appropriate i.e. NVQ L2 Performing Engineering Operations NOT just NVQ L2. Please give predicted grades if you are currently undertaking qualifications. Please avoid any inappropriate content within the email address. For return communication purposes a valid email address is required. Please also add theengineeringtrust.org onto your safe list within your email account. Check your email on a regular basis as this will be contact method for us and any prospective employer. As a precaution, you may also need to check your junk and spam folders.
This apprenticeship requires you to apply through the employer's website.
Training to be provided
- Level 3 Advanced Apprenticeship delivered over 4 years.
- First year basic training, PEO & BTEC Diploma, delivered at external college/provider.
- Subsequent years spent in company following company training plan, against which an NVQ is awarded.
Engineering Manufacture(Craft and Technician)
ENGINEERING TRUST TRAINING LIMITED
- Yvette Garcia-Mier
- 01993 882008